Mar 06 20140 comments
16 Critical Questions You MUST Ask Before Hiring Any IT Company
The single most expensive mistake most small business owners make when hiring an IT consultant. The surprising reason most small businesses fall victim to sub-standard support. What some IT consultants are doing to take advantage of business owners, and how to make sure you’re not one of them. How to avoid expensive computer repair bills and get all the computer support you need for a low, fixed monthly rate. Because over and over again I’m absolutely HORRIFIED by the incompetence and irresponsibility I discover when I audit most business networks. In 98% of the computer networks I review, I find faulty or non-existent backups, security loopholes, shoddy reporting, and flawed systems that simply cost more to maintain and don’t align with the operations of the business. Plus, not a week goes by where we don’t get a ‘911 crisis call’ from a business owner with a major technical disaster that COULD have been prevented. Why do so many businesses pay for substandard computer support? Simply because they don’t know how to truly verify that their network IS secure and end up having to take someone at their word. That’s why I’ve decided to post this article for all the business owners in our area to EDUCATE them about what to look for in an IT consultant. Quite honestly, I’m shocked at the oversights and sloppiness of most self-proclaimed “experts” and want to see the standards raised. Below you’ll find a mini acid test you can use to determine whether or not your network really IS being supported properly. If your technician does not score a “yes” on every point, you could be paying for substandard support AND be wide open to a very expensive, very frustrating computer disaster:
1. Do they answer their phones “live” and respond to support issues in 1 hour or less?
2. Are they remotely monitoring your network 24-7-365 to keep critical security settings, virus definitions, and security patches up to date?
3. Do they INSIST on monitoring an offsite as well as an onsite backup, or are they letting you rely on outdated tape backups?
4. Do they INSIST on doing periodic test restores of your backups to make sure the data is not corrupt and could be restored in the event of a disaster?
5. Have they provided you with written, network documentation detailing what software licenses you have, critical network passwords, and hardware
information, or are they the only person with the “keys to the kingdom?”
6. Do they consistently (and proactively) offer new ways to improve your network’s performance, or do they wait until you have a problem to make
7. Do they provide detailed invoices that clearly explain what you are paying for?
8. Do they explain what they are doing and answer your questions in terms that you can understand (not geek-speak)?
9. Do they complete projects on time and on budget, or does every project end up taking longer and costing more than you expected?
10. Do they offer any guarantees on their services?
11. Do they arrive on time and dress professionally?
12. Do they have other technicians on staff who are familiar with your network in case your regular technician goes on vacation or gets sick?
13. Do their technicians maintain current vendor certifications and participate in ongoing training, or do you feel as though they are learning on your
14. Do they take calls from other clients while working on your network (and on your dime)?
15. Do you have to manage their progress on projects, or do they provide frequent updates, status reports, and follow-up calls and e-mails?
16. Do they offer flat-rate or fixed-fee project quotes, or do they give themselves a wide open playing field with “time and materials?If Your Current IT Guy Failed This Test, I Want to Give You A FREE Network Audit To Make Things “Right” I know you are so darn busy running your business that you simply forget to think about the security and health of your computer network UNTIL something major happens. If that’s you, consider this a “friendly reminder” to get your network checked out – if nothing else, it’s a good way to get a third party review of your network’s security. And to make it a complete “no-brainer,” from now until April 2, 2014. I’m offering a Network Check-Up for FREE so you have no excuse for making sure that your computer network is safe not only from spyware and viruses, but also hackers, spam, data loss, hardware failure, software corruption, and a number of other disasters. For free, we will come to your office and… For FREE, We Will Come To Your Office And… Check your firewall’s security settings to make sure you are protected from the latest hacker attacks, worms, and viruses. Scan and remove spyware that is secretly stealing your company’s bandwidth, jeopardizing the speed of your computer system, and embezzling confidential information about you, your employees, and your business. Check your network’s back-up system to ensure it is working properly and accurately backing up all of the critical files and information you never want to lose. Verify that you have the most up-to-date security patches installed properly; miss one critical update and you’re a “sitting duck.” Diagnose slow, unstable PCs. Perform a quick network “tune-up” to make programs and files load faster. Why Should You Care About This? Because there are literally dozens of ways hackers and viruses can access your network–undetected—to access and remotely control your network, corrupt your data, and use your network as a conduit for spreading spam, viruses, and even illegal software. There are numerous system checks and updates that should be done on a regular basis to ensure maximum speed, performance, and security. Ignore them and your system will get progressively slower, unstable, and susceptible to viruses, spyware, and hackers. Tape backups have a failure rate of 100% --that means all tape drives will fail at some point, often without warning. You don’t want to find out that your backup was not working the day after your hard drive fried. Think About This… What else in your business is more valuable than the data on your network? Just imagine how devastating it would be to lose it! That’s why this Check-Up is so important. We’ll conduct a comprehensive review of your network’s security settings to make sure your data is safe and secure. Okay…So What’s The Catch? I bet you’re wondering why I’d be willing to give this away for free, so please allow me to explain. First off, I want to be clear that this is NOT a bait and switch offer or a trick to get you to buy something. My reputation for running an honest and trustworthy business is something I hold very dear. I would never jeopardize that in any way. We are simply offering this Free Network Check-Up as a risk-free “get to know us” offer to people we haven’t had the pleasure of doing business with. After All, Don’t You Just Want Your Darn Computer To Work The Way It’s Supposed To? That’s why I’m making this offer. I know that we are hands down the best at what we do, but I don’t think it’s fair for you to risk your money to find out. I don’t expect everyone to become a customer, but I know that some will end up becoming loyal, long-term clients, just like these business owners:
“Willy is the best - I accidentally downloaded a wicked virus which completely shut my laptop down. I called Willy and via mobile access he totally erased the virus within 30 minutes. I strongly recommend Korp Technology Services for all of your I.T. needs” – Rob Oliver
“My name is Jeff Fulkerson and I am President of Pinnacle Printing & Design. I have known and used Willy Korp since 2006. Being in the printing business, we have both Mac and PC computers. Willy has helped us purchase computers, set up our network and maintain/update our computers as needed. I have always found Willy to be fair and professional in every regard. I would not hesitate to refer him to everyone.” – Jeff Fulkerson
“Willy has been supporting our Company for many years and also has done some support for me personally. He was quick to respond, get the issues resolved and most of all- saved me from making mistakes that would cost me dearly! Willy helped get a dangerous virus off of my computer, walked me thru the steps over the phone, and saved me from a crash!! Thank you Willy…..I don’t know what I would have done if it were not for your help…..” – Sarah Blik
Here’s How It Works… To get your FREE, no-strings-attached, Network Check-Up, simply call my office at 602-380-1711. After we receive your request, we’ll schedule a convenient time for one of our technicians to come on-site and conduct a complete health check of your network. When we’re done, we’ll give you a comprehensive, easy-to-read report that will show any problems, threats, or vulnerable areas that need to be addressed. If we discover a problem, we’ll also provide you with a recommended action plan and fixed-fee quote on what it will cost for us to resolve it. No hidden fees; no bait and switch. If you decide to hire us to do the repair (you’re under no obligation), we’ll get to work on it immediately. And if we find out everything is safe and secure, you’ll breathe a big sigh of relief knowing the true state of your network’s health and security. What do you have to lose? Don’t let another day go by without verifying the health and security of your network! We’re making this as easy as possible to say yes – all you have to do is take 60 seconds to fax back the enclosed form or call our offices and we’ll do the rest!
Comments are closed.